Monday, December 7, 2009

New Mask: Monarch

I am beginning to include some animals and insects to my mask line, so here is the Monarch:

I was going for a stylized butterfly that would work for either a light or dark charater. The design is both carved and painted and the antenne are made with non-tarnishing gold artistic wire with glass crystals dangling from the ends.

In other news, I finally dragged myself to the hairdresser on Saturday and put my hair through the ringer. I have very thick long hair that tends to friz more than behave, so out of desperation, I got the Kerasmooth treatment. It is like a perm that straighens instead of curls, if you have never heard of it, and this one is formaldehyde free-big plus in my book. After they wash off the chemical goop, they straighten your hair with a flat iron and you can't wash it for 72 hours, so at the moment, my hair is poker straight and kind of jaggedy-looking.

Anyway, I like to have music or movies playing in the background when I work, so yesterday I turned on Rurouni Kenshin (guilty pleasure! don't laugh!) and sat down to finish up some new wings. After a few minutes I realized that my hair looked just like the cartoon characters. If you have ever watched any anime, you will see that some of them have a very specific way of treating hair: it is usually stiff, straight, jagged or spikey and continues to move sometimes even after the charater has stopped. Which is exactly what mine is doing now! I have anime hair!

Too bad halloween is not for another 10 months!

No comments: