Thursday, March 6, 2008

Just keeping my hands busy

I've never been able to sit still for long-I've always had to keep my hands busy. Even in grade school, if I wasn't doodling in the margins of my note books, I was making tiny sculptures from wire that I scavenged from broken telephones or radios.
I love working with wire. My latest craze has been producing all sorts of tiara and crowns. They are more than just hair accessories to me; they are tiny, exquisite sculptures that you can wear, a way to show your personality and individuality in a most majestic fashion.
I just finished this one-I call it the Red Queen, after Lewis Carroll's character in "Through the Looking Glass". Yes, I have been asked on many occasions if my intricate wire work has affected my sanity. I guess the jury is still out on that one...although my dad used to joke that he thought I was the unibomber because I used to carry around little spools of wire along with pliers and wire cutters in my purse when I was in high school.

No, it was just my bizarre compulsion to create, which possesses me still. I cannot tell if that is a good thing or not most days. I have more "hobbies" than anyone I know, no social life whatsoever, constantly broke from blowing all my $ on art supplies and yet I am happy as a clam when I am in my work room with my music on and newest project in hand.

No comments: